Sunday, August 10, 2014

Welcome Sign in Wordle

A great way to welcome your class is with an original welcome poster. Wordle and Tagul are both great word cloud applications that teachers can use to make a variety of instructional tools as well as decorations.

Wordle: Welcome to Ms. Stair's Class


This is an example of the welcome poster that I created for my classroom to hang outside the door. I started by searching "welcome in many languages." I found a website that had a two column list of languages on one side and their representative "welcome" on the other. I copied and pasted the list into a word document and then deleted the language column leaving only the words for welcome. In addition, I deleted words that were not in the Latin alphabet to shorten the list. I also deleted any extraneous information from the list.


Next I opened up Wordle and pasted my cleaned-up list into the text box. I played around with color schemes, finally deciding to create my own bold color palette. I chose the font I wanted and tried some randomized patterns. I noticed that the word welcome didn't stand out so I went to the advanced option which allowed me to weigh my words. I randomly assigned words 1 or 2 and "welcome" as an 8 to stand out. I was sure to copy and paste a copy of the list from a word document so that all the effort would not be wasted if I needed to go back and change my weights.


The final product was the result of about fifteen minute's work and I was pleased with the results. I can save this wordle by logging in to my account, printing it directly from the screen, or saving it to the public gallery.  I chose to paste its embed code in this blog in addition to saving it to my account. The next step for me is to take a saved copy to an office supply store and have them print it poster-size and laminate for me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment